This Blueberry Scones recipe is easy and most of all, delicious. Great for a Sunday afternoon soiree with friends or family. Kids love these, too! Meal prep and make the whole batch and keep them in a sealed freezer bag in your freezer. Take one out every morning and let thaw, enjoy with your tea or coffee for breakfast.
Ingredients (makes about 7 scones)
- 1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 5 T cold butter
- 1 c fresh blueberries
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 T lemon juice
- lemon zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425F
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda salt and lemon zest.
- Cut in cold butter and mix with your fingers until resembles small pea size bits.
- Fold blueberries in the flour mixture until all covered.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, vanilla and egg. Add to the dry mixture and mix lightly until combined. Don’t over-mix or kneed too much.
- Grab spoonfulls of mixture and drop on parchment paper layered baking sheet.
- Brunch with lemon juice and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until tops are nice and golden.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea!